Permit Determination

Are you working near a wetland? 

Then you need to determine which permits are needed before any work begins

Generally, if your property abuts the ocean, a salt mash, pond, stream or mucky area; if there is standing water at any time of the year within 50 feet of your project; and/or if your project entails crossing a stream or wet area, you may need a State Wetlands Permit, a State Shoreland Permit and/or a Town Wetlands Permit for your project.

If you're not sure if you're near a wetland, you can use the Town GIS and turn on the wetland layers to see if your property or project is located near a wetland. You should recognize, however, that even if the maps do not show a wetland on your property, you may still have one. The maps can be limited, often missing small or forested wetlands. And, the wetlands boundaries, which may change over time with natural cycles, are only approximations. To confirm the presence and exact boundaries of a wetland, you will need to obtain the services of a certified wetland scientist who can provide a wetland delineation. 

The Town's Wetland Regulations are found in section 2.3 of the Zoning Ordinance.

There is also a guide to help determine which permit(s) may be required for your project. Please be aware every project scope and location is different.

If you have any questions, as to whether or not a particular permit is needed, please contact the specific agency for further clarification